As excitement builds around the beginning of winter season and choreography sessions in particular, we wanted to remind coaches and teams of a few important rules:
- Choreography sessions can only be held in the two weeks prior to the first official practice date, this year being October 9- October 21 (no 10/14 as that is a Sunday and never allowed as a day to be with your team, as stated by MSHSL) No other time during the year outside of winter season are choreography sessions allowed for your upcoming season.
- Choreography sessions shall be conducted by the coaching staff and a representative number of team members:
- maximum of 8 jazz choreographers
- maximum of 11 choreographers
- not to exceed 1/3 of the entire team
- shall be the same individuals during the entire two week period
- Conditioning, rehearsing, or practicing dance during the two week choreography period is prohibited.
- The final cut of music MAY NOT be provided to any team members prior to the start of the choreography sessions. (October 9)
- While there are no specific rules about technology and its use during the choreography sessions and previous to the start of winter competitive season, based on the above rules, no video of any part of your winter season dance(s) can be distributed to your team members. For example, they cannot be learning turn combinations, kick combinations, or any other choreography that will be used in winter season dances. Once the winter season begins on October 23, video distribution to learn choreography IS allowed.
**As stated in the rules book, “The intent of these rules is to prevent teams from developing and practicing choreography and dance routines prior to the start of the competitive season.”
In the spirit of sportsmanship, mentorship, and leadership- we hope all coaches are practicing these rules and the spirit of the choreography session’s intent.
If you have any questions about the interpretation of these rules, please contact us at email@example.com
MADT Board of Directors